First, you need to familiarize yourself with the kitchen. Ask an adult to show you where things are kept, including ingredients and utensils. Take a look at the Glossary of cooking terms if you aren't familiar with cooking terms.
Ask an adult to show you how any of the appliances you might need to use work and always ask permission first to use. Be sure to always use appliances the way they are meant to be used - and safely.
Next, look through a cookbook and see if there is something that might interest you in making, baking or cooking. If it's your first attempt in the kitchen find something easy - a snack, lunch idea or simple dessert.
When you decide what to make the first thing to do is wash your hands and put on an apron to protect your clothes. Tie your hair back if it is long and loose. You don't want it in your food! Then carefully read over your recipe and get out the utensils and ingredients you will need. Then follow recipe directions carefully.
Kitchen safety is VERY important. Here are some tips to keep things safe in the kitchen.
- Never use electrical appliances in the kitchen sink. Use on a sturdy kitchen counter or table.
- Never touch anything electrical with wet hands.
- Keep electrical cords away from the sink.
- Sharp knives should be held by the handle with cutting edge away from you.
- Keep handles of saucepans turned inward on stove.
- Always use oven mitts or pot holders when handling hot dishes.
- Turn off burners and oven when not in use.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Clean up as you go.
- Until you master things in the kitchen - follow cookbook instructions precisely.
- Always ask an adult for help if you need it!
What to Cook?
Now comes the fun stuff!! What to cook? If you are just starting out you will want to try something easy - a snack, simple dessert, fruit drink or lunch idea. There are hundreds of cookbooks designed for kids you can chose from, as well there are plenty of recipes right at Kids' Turn you can start with.
If you have been hanging out in the kitchen for a while now perhaps you have some tips to share - a recipe or your own creation you have developed! Don't hesitate to post your recipe on the Kids' Turn Forum!