40 Years and Counting America's #1 Card Game1 Brand Still Going Strong
Celebratory Activities Include First-Ever Tournament of Roses® Parade Float and Exclusive Product Offerings
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Spanning four decades, UNO® has created memorable moments for millions of families around the world with its fast paced fun and universal appeal. From its inception as a card game, today the UNO® brand is available on multiple platforms for anytime, anywhere play. In 2011, UNO® kicks-off its 40th anniversary on New Year's Day at the 122nd Tournament of Roses Parade followed by the official birthday celebration of UNO® on 1/11/11, and continues throughout the year with exciting new ways to play UNO®!
"What started as a card game has evolved into a multi-platform gaming brand that has created smiles for millions, crossed cultural borders and has spanned generations," said Lee Ann Wong, vice president, Mattel Games Marketing. "What's so unique about UNO is it lives wherever people play -- whether at home on the kitchen table, on a favorite game console, or on a mobile device, there's UNO."
It's an UNO® New Year at the Tournament of Roses Parade:
For the first time ever Mattel will participate in the world-famous Tournament of Roses Parade® in Pasadena, Calif. with an UNO® float, themed "Timeless Fun For Everyone™," highlighting the rich history, universal appeal and colorful play of UNO®. On New Year's Eve, the UNO® street team also will be on hand to play up patrons who eagerly await the parade on Colorado Blvd. with exclusive UNO® card games and warm refreshments. In the spirit of good-game-will, UNO® has teamed up with Save the Children to support its programs to help children living in poverty in the United States. Float highlights include:
- A highly animated and entertaining dining room-like scene with the "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" playing with her grandchildren dressed as a little princess, winged angel, astronaut and magician all playing together to illustrate UNO® as a game enjoyed by all
- Vibrant display of more than 20,000 creamy white Vendelia roses, 10,000 gerberas in shades of hot pink, brilliant yellow, dazzling coral and bright gold
- Carefully crafted characters made from an array of floral materials including carnations, dendrobium florets, button poms, strawflower and marigold petals, ilex berries, bent grass seed and coconut chips
- Seven inspirational young float riders, all who participate in Save the Children's education programs in rural California and chosen for their strong spirits and dedication to learning
Viewers Choice Awards: Make sure to cast your vote for the UNO® "Timeless Fun For Everyone™" float as your Viewers Choice favorite by voting online here or for the first time ever via text message. Simply text "FLOAT65" to 50649"2
***Check local TV listings for parade times
Happy UNO® Birthday on 1/11/2011:
UNO® has a Happy Birthday on Tuesday, 1/11/11, with a special "UNO®" promotion! For a limited time only, while supplies last at participating retailers, UNO® fans nationwide will be able to purchase an iconic UNO® Retro Card Game for only $1!
- The UNO® Retro Card Game features the original color artwork and design allowing fans of all ages to go back in time while creating new game play experiences
- UNO® Retro Card Game will be available at major retailers nationwide for just $1
- The ultra popular UNO® iPhone and iPad applications from Gameloft, also will be available for the special anniversary price of $1 (1/11/11 only)
New and Innovative Ways to Play UNO®!
Throughout the decades, UNO® has reinvented itself by adding new rules, features and electronic elements, without losing its core game play. In 2011, UNO® introduces new customizable games and experiences for anytime, anywhere play:
- UNO Roboto™ — For the first time in UNO® history the game will have a character personality added to game play! Available this fall, UNO Roboto™ serves as the Interactive Wild Card who changes the UNO® game experience every time you play
- UNO Attack!® — For spring, UNO Attack!® gets a makeover with all-new commands, a complete redesign and the fastest card launcher ever!
- UNO® Mobile App — Play UNO® on mobile devices offering great casual game play for fast fun on the run!
- UNO® on Facebook — Join the more than 1.5 million fans at the UNO® destination for all things UNO®. Get the latest 40th news, fun facts, exclusive promotions and more at facebook.com/uno
News | Toy News
1 America's #1 Card Game Brand" - Source: The NPD Group / Consumer Tracking Service / Annual 2009
2 Msg. & Data rates may apply. Vote up to 5 times for your favorite float
Voting begins at 8 a.m. pacific on January 1, 2011, and will end at 2:10 p.m. pacific on January 1, 2011
Mattel, Inc., (NASDAQ:MAT) (www.mattel.com) is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of toys and family products. The Mattel family is comprised of such best-selling brands as Barbie®, the most popular fashion doll ever introduced, Hot Wheels®, Matchbox®, American Girl®, Radica® and Tyco® R/C, as well as Fisher-Price® brands, including Little People®, Power Wheels® and a wide array of entertainment-inspired toy lines. In 2010, Mattel was named as one of FORTUNE Magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" for the third year in a row, and was ranked among Corporate Responsibility Magazine's "100 Best Corporate Citizens." Mattel also is recognized among the "World's Most Ethical Companies." With worldwide headquarters in El Segundo, Calif., Mattel employs approximately 27,000 people in 43 countries and territories and sells products in more than 150 nations. At Mattel, we are "Creating the Future of Play."
© 2011 Mattel, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
About Save the Children's U.S. Programs
Save the Children's U.S. Programs works to break the cycle of poverty and improve the lives of children by ensuring they have the resources they need — like access to a quality education, healthy foods and opportunities to grow and develop in a nurturing environment. When disasters strike, like hurricanes and wildfires, Save the Children is among the first on the ground ensuring the needs of children are being met.
Save the Children's early childhood education, literacy, physical activity and nutrition, and emergency response programs reached more than 75,000 children in the United States last year alone. For more information visit www.savethechildren.org/usa.