Environmental Issues - Reduce!
If you reduce the amount of garbage you create you won't have as much to recyle or throw away. You can also reduce the amount of materials you consume every day just by following a few reduction tips:
- Reduce the amount of food you put in your lunchbag. Only bring what you'll eat.
- Reduce paper at home and at school by using both sides of the paper.
- Save water by reducing the amount of time you stay in the shower. You can also save energy by having a slightly cooler shower.
- Reduce trash by using rechargable batteries.
- Avoid using disposable items, they only end up as trash. Instead stick with products you can use over and over.
- Reduce paper and plastic by using a grocery tote bag instead of plastic or paper bags given out at stores.
- Reduce trash by purchasing products with the least amount of packaging.
- Reduce the amount of chemicals going into the environment by purchasing and using non-toxic cleaning products.
- Reduce the quantity of clothing you buy new. Avoid rushing out to update your wardrobe with every fashion change. Take care of your clothes so they will last longer. When they no longer fit donate to charity.
- Reduce the amount of bottled water you purchase by refilling small, single serving bottles from larger bottles. Better yet, refill your bottles with tap or filtered water.
- When washing your clothes be sure to use the load size setting on your washing machine that matches the load you are washing. Avoid "large" setting when only washing a few items. Better yet, wait until you have a full load to wash. Turn the heat down too. Washing in cold water has been proven to work fine.
- Carry a reuseable mug if you drink coffee. Most gas stations or convenience stores will let you refill your own cup.
- When you order fast food, be sure to keep the extra condiments and napkins. Save and use another day, don't throw in the trash.
- Reduce toxic emissions. WALK! Don't ask Mom or Dad for a drive if you can easily walk where you need to go. If it's too far, use public transportation, a bike, or car pool.
Do you have a Reducing Tip? You can share it on our Facebook Page or Email it to us and well add to our list.
Earth Day | Recycle/Reuse | Our Environment