Volunteering is a great way to get involved with your community. You can learn new things, make friends and know you are helping someone.
There are a lot of different ways you can volunteer so you can usually find something to do that you have an interest in. Whether it's the environment, health care, reading, art or working with other kids or helping the elderly - there are ways you can become involved and have some fun too!
Ways to Volunteer
Here are some simple ways you can volunteer......
These are just a few examples - visit one of the many volunteer sites online for many more ideas and how to find a volunteer organization in your community. It's a good idea to talk to your parents about volunteering before you get involved. Why not ask Mom or Dad to volunteer too and make it a family activity!
- Animal shelters are always looking for volunteers to walk pets, and help clean and care for them
- Organize a cleanup program in your neighborhood
- Visit a senior's home and offer to read to residents
- Hospitals often have programs available that kids can help with to cheer up patients
- Donate used toys and books to libraries, shelters or churches
- Donate food to shelters and food banks or volunteer your time to help serve
- Collect coupons and donate to food banks, or help with a food drive
- Volunteer to tutor or help students struggling
- Help a neighbour shovel snow or tidy their yard
Once you volunteer you will quickly learn that giving of one's self has it's own rewards. You won't get paid, but the feeling you get helping others is something worth more then money. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.